Sunday, June 22, 2008

what's in a name?








I never thought I'd do it, but, here I am...with a blog. What a strange, little, four-letter word. Say it three times and it sounds like...well, it could never sound like praying. More like a fog horn or a serious head cold or sinusitis. But I digress--I'm here and I'm blogging, and about my newest obession: cake decorating! Actually, cakes, cupcakes, cookies and a general love of desserts all around. It's not that I love baking so much, but I do love projects and pretty things, and there's just nothing prettier than an iced cake or plated dessert. (Although, some peep-toe pumps are enough to make me salavate--ooh! or the perfect oversized handbag). Last night was my first attempt at a strawberry shortcake, courtesy of Martha Stewart . The shortcake was a little crumbly but I don't think I let it cool long enough. I also prepared the dough in a blender because I don't have a food processor. Not the smartest move because now, someone has to clean this, and honey, dirty dishes and I just do not get along. I didn't have a lemon so I used a little bit of orange juice to bring out the flavor in the strawberries. In the end, it was all well worth the mess in my kitchen; the recipe turned out pretty fantastic and makes a great, light, summer dessert. Mmm, strawberries and cream...now that sounds like praying.

No comments: